Recipe: Potatoes Anna or Classic Pommes Anna


This recipe for Potatoes Anna or the French Classic Pommes Anna is so good. I grew-up in a family that made virtually the same thing except it wasn’t made so attractive… my Grandmother used a deep roasting pan and kept piling on the potatoes…. I don’t think she ever made enough… we loved the buttery, crisp potatoes…. We would just pull apart sections and devour them.

TIPS

There are fancy baking dishes for this recipe… and I’m sure fancy prices to go with it…. I used an 8-inch non-stick cake pan….. if I was serving more people… I’d use my 10 inch springform pan and maybe make two…

The picture you see was made for the two of us… I used 3 medium potatoes… nothing was left… we had it with steak and string beans… the meal was absolutely terrific! These potatoes go with just about everything…. and so quick and easy.

Adjust the amount of your ingredients to suit how many people you plan to feed. Figure at least one potato per person. Figure about one tablespoon of melted butter for every 3 potatoes.

I don’t like to stack my potatoes higher than 3 layers… because we really like them to crisp up.







PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Potatoes Anna (Classic Pommes Anna)

All you need:

Russet potatoes
Melted butter
Salt and Pepper

All you need to do:

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel and clean potatoes.

Slice the potatoes very thin… no more than 1/8 inch thick.

Melt butter.

Using a pastry brush, brush butter on the bottom of an 8 inch non-stick cake pan.

Layer the potatoes starting against the outer rim, overlapping slightly. Use the best looking slices for the bottom layer since these will be on top.

Continue until the bottom layer covers the cake pan.

Brush with melted butter.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Repeat the using the same instructions with the second and third layer.

Place in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for 50 minutes or until potatoes are golden and crisp.

Remove from the oven and invert on a platter.

To serve cut into wedges…. It also can be pulled apart and served in sections.

7 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

This is a done deal!! I've printed it off and its on tomorrows menu. I've never seen this before. Fabulous!!

Sherri Murphy said...

I thought I knew of every potato dish out there. I've never run across this one.

Looks divine as I am a lover of potatoes.

Heather S-G said...

I love potatoes this way! It's been a long time since I've made them, too...thanks for the reminder :)

Judy said...

Yummy and super easy. But did I read right, that the two of you ate the whole thing?

Linda said...

Ummmm... yes, Judy ... we ate the whole thing... the whole enchilada... actually it was 3 medium sized potatoes.. one was on the small size... so it really wasn't that bad.... the potatoes were smaller than the average baked potato...

I sliced them very thin... we like 'em crispy...

So I guess I should say oink oink? LOL

myk7753 said...

I've made this dish many times before, and there is NEVER any leftovers. I do it up in 5 layers, that way the outside of the potatoes get crispy and the inside gets soft and buttery. The combo is amazing!

Louise B. said...

Great recipe, but even better is if you alternate layers of onions and potatoes

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup