Recipe: New York Deli Style Cucumber Salad


New York delis have wonderful salads…. The New York delis that I grew up with had a wide variety of all kinds of salads …. and one of my favorite is cucumber salad. It’s a really simple salad… but oh so good.

The sweet and sour flavor of the dressing just enhances the cucumbers and onion. It is a summer staple in our house….. it’s perfect for barbecues and picnics…. It goes with so many foods… an easy and quick salad to add to your menu.

I originally got the recipe from my friend Stephanie’s Mother when I was in college. I was at her house for a barbecue and sure enough there was the cucumber salad…. I asked her what deli she had gotten it from and that’s when I found out it was homemade… Steph’s Mom gladly shared her recipe with me… and I’ve made it ever since.







New York Deli Style Cucumber Salad Recipe

All you need:

3 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium to large onion, thinly sliced (sweet onion preferred)
2/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

All you need to do:

Place the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl. Mix well.

In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour the vinegar water mixture over the cucumbers and onions and mix well.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours.

Stir well before serving.

4 comments:

Heather S-G said...

I am so excited that you've posted this recipe...my mom and I were just talking about cucumber salad and how much we love it! We used a different recipe, which was pretty good...but I definitely want to try yours! Yum.

Linda said...

This recipe is pure New York Deli ... I hope you like it!

Michelle said...

Da Hubster shared a childhood food memory with me the other day, he remembered his mother used to make some kind of really great cucumber salad. As he was speaking, I was thinking that sounded an awful lot like the cucumber salad found on every table in every single Jewish New York Deli..so I set out to find the recipe and find it I did. He made it for dinner tonight and declared THAT IS IT! it is a wonderful add to any meal!

Linda said...

Right you are, Michelle! I miss the Jewish delis in NY.. we never seem to go to one when I visit my son...

I make this to go with BBQ ... and of course it's great with sandwiches...

Thanks for stopping by and I'm so glad you found exactly what you were looking for!

Come back again!
Linda

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup