Recipe: Hungarian Cucumber Salad


This recipe for Hungarian Cucumber Salad is one I grew up with as a child. We all love sour cream… my Dad and I could eat it with a spoon, we like it so much… so this salad was made in heaven for us… cucumbers, onions, sour cream and of course… paprika… what would a Hungarian cucumber salad be without paprika….

This is so....hmmmmm …. so good!

I make this all summer long when I can get cucumbers at local farm stands and farmers markets…. there is nothing like fresh produce used to make wonderful meals.







PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Hungarian Cucumber Salad

All you need:

3 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium to large onion, thinly sliced (sweet onion preferred)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice to taste
1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
Hungarian hot paprika to taste

All you need to do:

Place the sliced cucumber in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.

Allow the cucumbers to rest for about 2 hours.

Water may accumulate at the bottom of the bowl… drain it.

Add the onion. Mix completely.

In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour the sour cream dressing over the cucumbers and mix well.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Note: If you have leftovers …. The cucumbers will continue to draw water which will separate from the sour cream… just pour off the little bit of water that accumulates and stir the salad again.

4 comments:

Heather S-G said...

This one sounds good, too. I've never tried it like this!

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds delicious. I love cucumber salads .. my mom makes a similar one and calls it Polish:)

Linda said...

LOL... you will find many many things that part of the world share in foods... I think what made this Hungarian was the Hungarian paprikas... it's my Grandmother's recipe... I'd be interested in knowing your Polish one... I'm sure it's good too. I love Polish food too.

Unknown said...

OMG! I was so happy to see this recipe. This is MY Grandma's Hungarian every holiday and sometimes on Sunday recipe and a family favorite. Other Sundays it was just the Cuke, Onion and Vinegar "hungarian" with paprika recipe! Thank you for posting it

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup