Recipe: Ambrosia


This recipe for Ambrosia is terrific… I adapted it slightly from Alton Brown of the Food Network. I wanted to try and make it for Easter this year…

I must tell you, I wasn’t fond of the Ambrosias I’ve tasted previously. Most used Cool Whip…. Now mind you, I’m not one to look down my nose on Cool Whip… I actually use it in a lot of recipes… but for some reason I didn’t care for it on these fruits…. So I was pleasantly surprised when I made this… at the wonderful taste. The sweetness of the whipped cream with the tanginess of the sour cream are just perfect.

I listed the pecans as optional… I have seen recipes that don’t use nuts… and some that do… besides not everyone likes nuts…. I, on the other hand, love pecans… but to appease some people I made it for… I left them out and it was delicious.

His recipe calls for homemade mini marshmallows… Here is the link to his mini marshmallow recipe if you want to make them. I think I will try the marshmallow recipe another time… for the Ambrosia I wanted it done quickly, so I used store bought.

I used mandarin oranges instead of clementines… we like mandarin oranges.

I also added a sliced banana too... I thought it went well with it.

It’s very easy … very quick to prepare… a last minute addition that would be perfect or even an after Easter add-on to the inevitable leftovers…. I like to do that too…. make something special to add to leftovers… makes them more interesting.

I hope you try this… it’s a great way to get kids to eat their fruits!

Enjoy!

PRINT RECIPE

Recipe:  Ambrosia

All you need:

½ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
4 ounces sour cream
3 cups of mini marshmallows
1 cup clementine orange sections (about 6 clementines)or Mandarin oranges * See TIPS
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1 banana, sliced
1 cup grated coconut (I used sweetened coconut)
1 cup toasted, chopped pecans (optional)
½ cup drained maraschino cherries

All you need to do:

Place the cream and the sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip until stiff peaks are formed.

Add the sour cream and whisk to combine.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Transfer to a glass serving bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup