Using Bamboo Skewers

Tip of the day

I like using bamboo skewers instead of toothpicks when making foods that need to be secured while cooking because they’re sturdier and are removed much easier than flimsy toothpicks. The bamboo skewers come in a variety of sizes so they can be used for a wide variety of recipes from scallops wrapped in bacon to shish kabobs.

Soak them in water before using to keep them from scorching on the grill or under the broiler.

You can find them in some grocery stores and specialty stores, as well as, online.

4 comments:

Dr24Hours said...

Hey Linda,

Can you post about how to use Phyllo dough? I tried making little spanikopitas the other day, and I destroyed as much dough as I used successfully. (I bought the frozen kind. I'm not making phyllo). Also, I was so frustrated by it ripping and bunching up and falling apart I wanted nuke Greece.

Linda said...

Sure.... I'll post how to use phyllo dough.... by the way... NOBODY makes it... everybody buys it.... ummmm... nuking Greece.... I understand completely....LOL... the stuff is frustrating.

Chris said...

What a good tip! I struggle trying to get those toothpicks out once things are cooked. Skewers would be so much easier. Duh!

Linda said...

Glad to be of help!

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup