Recipe: Orzo with Shallots and Garlic



Adapted 02-22-10

I love orzo…. it’s in between a pasta and a rice…. there really is so much you can do with it…. so I went hunting for a relatively plain recipe that didn’t use parmesan cheese. I really didn’t want a risotto… because if I did… I’d make risotto.

I came up with this recipe… mostly because we love onions and garlic… and I, personally, love shallots…. I love the light oniony flavor without being too potent. I wanted something that would go with a meat that had strong flavors in that recipe… I didn’t want the orzo to over-power it…. I wanted something that would compliment it.

TIP


Chop the onions and garlic together in a mini chopper... this will completely incorporate the two together and make for a better flavor.... also this way no one will get a large piece of garlic.

I hope you enjoy this.








Orzo with Shallots and Garlic Recipe:

All you need:


2 shallots finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup of dry orzo
3 cups of fat free chicken broth
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste


All you need to do:

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

Add the shallots and garlic. Sauté them until they have softened a bit… about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.

In the same skillet over medium high heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

Add the orzo… cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to incorporate the butter and olive oil.

Add the chicken broth.

Cover and heat to boiling.

Reduce heat and simmer until the orzo is soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.

Add the onions and garlic. Mix well.

Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup