Recipe: Jambalaya

Updated 01-10-12

This is a recipe that started out as Robin Miller’s Slow Cooker Jambalaya from the Food Network. After reading the viewer reviews… I began researching Jambalaya recipes. I liked the idea that Robin used a slow cooker and I definitely wanted to try that, but most of the reviews, while good, complained the dish lacked zip and “it wasn’t a true Jambalaya”.

So my search began for a “true Jambalaya” and ways other Chefs seasoned their Jambalayas. First off, I noticed her recipe lacked garlic. From everything I have ever tasted, Creole food has garlic and usually lots of it.

I found several recipes from Emeril and a few recipes from restaurants in New Orleans, as well as, the reviews of Robin’s recipe contained tips on how they improved on her recipe. I combined a few elements from each of these sources. The result is this wonderful dish. While “true” Jambalayas are made on top of the stove, this slow cooker version, I feel, doesn’t lose any of the “true” feel of a Jambalaya.

I like to use my Cajun Seasoning... click the link if you want my recipe or use whatever Cajun seasoning you like ... commercial or homemade.

This recipe has what I would call moderate zip. If you like things really spicy, you will have to adjust the seasoning according to your taste.

One of the chief complaints about Robin’s recipe was it was too bland. I used one 14 ½ oz can of Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Green Pepper and Onion for more flavor and 1 can plain diced tomatoes. You can use some other varieties as well, such as Diced Tomatoes with Garlic and Onion.

And finally, I used Johnsonville Hot Smoked Andouille Sausage… that’s all I could find. It was excellent. See what’s available in your area and experiment… let me know how yours comes out!

Jambalaya Recipe:

All you need to do:

1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cubed
½ lb. andouille sausage, diced
1 can (14.5 oz.) Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Green Pepper and Onion
1 can (14.5 oz.) Del Monte Diced Tomatoes
1 medium onion, diced
½ green pepper, diced
½ red pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 ½ cups chicken broth
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 bay leaves
1 lb. peeled and cooked shrimp
2 cups Minute Rice
1 cup chopped green onions
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped

All you need to do:

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT for last 4 on the list above in a crock pot set on low.

Cook for about 6 ¼ hours on low. Add the remaining ingredients, cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve in bowls. I served cheesy garlic biscuits with this.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup