Recipe: Spinach Bacon and Onion Frittata

I have to include one more frittata recipe. This one was so easy and came out absolutely perfect. It’s also a little different. I adapted this from a spinach and mushroom recipe, which also would be very good. I added finely chopped crispy bacon and changed the measurements a bit based on my experience with frittatas.

TIPS

Mushrooms would be a nice addition… I wouldn’t use too many because they will add considerable water to this and the consistency came out perfect without them. I have had better success with them in frittatas without ricotta cheese.

You can add a ¼ teaspoon dried Italian Seasonings to it… that’s what the original recipe called for, but I decided not to add it in… I felt the spinach, bacon and green onion flavors would be strong enough on their own… and I feel I was right… but you may feel differently.

I cooked an entire package of frozen chopped spinach. I only used 1 cup in the recipe which leaves roughly ½ cup left. I put it in an airtight container in the fridge to be used for hors’dourve mini quiches… it was the perfect amount for the frittata and the amount reserved for mini quiches was perfect also… it allowed me to have a little variety with the mini quiches without having any waste.

I cooked the spinach by putting it in the micro and nuking it on high for about 8 minutes, until cooked. I allowed it to cool and then put it in a strainer on top of a bowl, using a spoon I squeezed out as much excess water as I could. I got about ¼ cup of water out of it.

This recipe cut perfectly, the wedges were picture perfect.








PRINT RECIPE

Spinach Bacon and Onion Frittata Recipe:

All you need:

1 cup cooked frozen spinach, drained
5 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
1 cup regular or part-skim ricotta cheese
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup scallions, finely chopped
¼ cup milk (whole or 2%)
5 crispy bacon strips, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray (butter flavor preferred)

All you have to do:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Spray a pie plate with cooking oil.

In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs and milk until well mixed.

Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon.

Add the remaining ingredients to the egg mixture.

Mix thoroughly.

Pour into the prepared pie plate.

Sprinkle reserved tablespoon of bacon over top of frittata.

Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool for 10 minutes, cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup