Recipe: Coconut Macaroons


These are amazing!!! Pop one of these into a macaroon lover’s mouth and they will follow you anywhere. This recipe is from the Barefoot Contessa of the Food Network. It’s a simple recipe and I have copied it exactly.

I do have a few comments about making them though. I read the reviews before making these.. most people raved but others weren’t so wild about them… but it seems it comes down to two very important things…

Be sure to use sweetened shredded coconut… it will make a huge difference if you happen to use the unsweetened variety.

Be sure to use sweetened condensed milk…. I use Borden’s Eagle Brand….

I stress this because these are the only sweeteners in the cookie besides vanilla extract and that really isn’t a sweetener… it flavors it… there’s a big difference.

Make sure you fold the egg whites in carefully, you don’t want to over-work it.

And… just to warn you… this is very, very sticky… the recipe advises you to use cookie sheets lined with parchment paper… I used Reynolds Wrap Release Non-Stick foil… which is the absolute best… nothing sticks to it… mine didn’t stick but a few didn’t want to budge right away… I cooled them on the pan a little too long…don’t wait more than 1 or 2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Finally, you can add almond extract… I know the Italian bakery where I buy some of my favorite coconut macaroons has a slight almond flavor… so if the ones you like do too… you can substitute the almond extract for the vanilla.

I started out making the size mounds the recipe calls for… they seemed to run a bit when baking… so I cut the mound size on the cookie sheet to 1 heaping coffee teaspoon size … I cut the baking time down to 18 minutes… (you need to watch them… when they are toasty brown… take them out…if at 18 minutes they aren’t toasty give them a couple of more minutes) … the smaller ones, I feel came out perfect.

I put a cherry in the middle of some… I just took a maraschino cherry and pushed it gently into the center before baking.

They were very quick to make and really not difficult. If you follow the few tips I gave you.. they should be absolutely perfect!

Yummmm!

Coconut Macaroon Recipe:

All you need:

14 oz. sweetened shredded coconut
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon kosher salt

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl.

Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks.

Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.

Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1/ ¾ inch diameter ice cream scoop or 2 teaspoons.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.

Cool and Serve.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup