Recipe: Easy CrockPot Pot Roast


Updated 03-11-13

I will never make Pot Roast the same again! Well... at least I found a quick and easy recipe to make often!

I tried a new Pot Roast recipe that is unequivocally the best I have ever made and the easiest. Coming from the Northeast… I have been making Yankee Pot Roast since I was a teen. There must be a million recipes for it out there… everyone has their own… just as I did until last week.

I bought a boneless beef bottom round and intended to make my usual Pot Roast. While at the checkout I bought The Taste of Home Thanksgiving issue of their small recipe book.

About five years ago I used to chat online with one of their Food Editors when we both frequented a chat room. At the time I had a hard time finding the magazine but within the last few years I started seeing it regularly. I’ve found their recipes to be very good and their directions easy to follow…. most are not that complicated.

 On the back of the recipe book was a Campbell’s Slow Cooker Savory Pot Roast Recipe from the Campbell’s Kitchens. Frankly, I was skeptical when I read the ingredients but the picture looked good and I figured I would give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did.

It came out perfect. I wasn’t so sure about the Cream of Mushroom soup… but it made perfect gravy. What else I liked about it was that I didn’t have to use any oil to brown the roast… I’m always looking for ways to cut the fat.

TIPS

I updated the recipe .. the change was to add a cut-up onion.. it isn't entirely necessary.. but I like onion so I added it.

I also changed when to add the vegetables... I now add them an hour before the pot roast is done.  They cook perfectly and aren't mushy.

I used small, very small red potatoes, cut in half.....

You can leave out the vegetables entirely if you prefer you vegetables made separately and prefer mashed potatoes over ones made with the pot roast.

If you need to make it before you leave for work... leave the vegetables out... cook the roast on low... when you get home remove the roast and cook the vegetables in the gravy...

By the way, I used two cans of soup instead of one… I feel it made just the right amount of gravy. If I make a bigger roast for company I will use three cans of soup and 2 pouches of dry onion soup and just increase the amount of veggies… you always have to have enough gravy!








Recipe:  Easy CrockPot Pot Roast

You will Need:

Beef Rump Roast or Bottom Round

2 cans (10 3/4 oz) Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup – Regular, 9 Fat Free, 25 Less Sodium or Healthy Request – (I used 98% Fat Free...the Campbell's Kitchen recipe uses 1 can ..I like using 2 cans better, the flavor is better)

1 pouch (2 oz) dry onion soup and recipe mix

About 24 oz. beef stock

6 small red potatoes, halved

6 medium carrots, cut into 2” pieces – (I used about half a bag of small Belgian Carrots you find in the produce section of the supermarket)

1 medium onion, cut up

3 to 3 ½ lb boneless beef bottom round roast or chuck roast (I always use boneless beef bottom round)

All you have to do:

Stir soup, stock, onion soup mix,  in a 4 ½ qt slow cooker. Add beef and turn to coat. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 9 hrs or on HIGH 4 to 5 hrs until beef is tender.

An hour before serving, add the vegetables. 

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup