Sautéed Cabbage



Sautéed Cabbage makes a quick and easy side dish.. a wonderful addition to any meal.
TIPS
Make sure to peel off the outer layer of leaves and any brown leaves.
I slice the cabbage fairly thin but I’m not overly zealous about it.. thicker slices are okay.
Against my better judgment I followed the Barefoot Contessa’s instructions to cut the head in half then slice it… in a word… don’t.  What I found happened was I ended up slicing some of the core with it.  It’s much easier to just slice it until you get to the core.. then I trim a few slices from the sides that are left.
You can use butter, as the recipe calls for.. or bacon grease, olive oil or vegetable oil.
Use only the 2 tablespoons listed.. don’t be tempted to use more… I have done that because in the beginning.. it just doesn’t look like it has enough grease… but as the cabbage wilts.. it will be fine.
I like my cabbage a bit on the soft side… so I cook it a little longer (the top end of the time range).. best advice is to taste it and make it to your liking.
Don’t walk away while cooking it.. be nearby… and stir it frequently to keep it from browning.. if it continues to start to brown, turn the heat down a bit.
Sliced or diced onion can be sautéed with it.
This is a wonderful vegetable .. I hope you try this!







Recipe:  Sautéed Cabbage
All you need:
1 medium size head (about 2 pounds) cabbage, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter *See TIPS
Kosher salt to taste
All you need to do:
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Add cabbage and stir to coat the cabbage.
Cook over medium high heat for 15-20 minutes or until desired softness.
Sprinkle with salt to taste.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup