Recipe: Breakfast Crostatas


Breakfast recipes always catch my eye… and this was no exception… the picture looked good enough to eat. The recipe is from Pillsbury and uses their refrigerated crusty French loaf.

I did change it up a bit … for our tastes… I didn’t sprinkle dried basil or rosemary… I used smoked ham instead of Canadian bacon (simply because that’s what I had on hand)… I used a Mexican cheese blend instead of Cheddar or Gouda.

TIPS

The basic idea for this was great… I will add other ingredients to further add flavor when I serve this again… chopped peppers and onions… serve it with salsa…. Is one idea… the possibilities are virtually limitless.

I must warn you….The French loaf dough was a challenge to work with ….very difficult to unroll… it can be done.. it just takes patience… or you can cut it and roll it out yourself into 4 fairly equal shapes.

The dough is very elastic so when pinching it … it would spring back…. the thing is… even with these issues… it bakes up beautifully….I’ve thought of changing the dough to something else… but the flavor of the yeast dough was really good with the ingredients…so I’ve decided to keep it the same.

The eggs can run despite the well of filling you make in the middle.. so I recommend after you make the well with the chopped ham and shredded cheese, fold the dough up to form a crust around the edges, then put the egg in the middle of the well. If you egg white runs a bit.. it still will bake up well.

I sprinkled additional cheese over the egg and crust before baking.

Also… my picture is very similar to Pillsbury’s… and it is deceiving … the yolk is not runny… so if you like a runny yolk… you could try to take it out of the oven after 10 minutes… then add the egg and put it back to continue baking… the crust needs the 20-25 minutes to bake… and eggs take less time so that was the problem… I must say though.. even though I like runny yolks… this was really tasty with the yolk cooked through.

This was really tasty… I hope you try it.






Recipe: Breakfast Crostatas

All you need:

1 can Pillsbury refrigerated crusty French Bread
4 eggs
1 ½ cups chopped smoked ham
1 ½- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or cheddar
Salt and pepper

All you have to do:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Unroll the dough and cut into 4 equal squares. This can be difficult… you can also cut the dough into 4 equal parts and roll the parts out.

Divide the shredded cheese and ham among the 4 pieces of dough. * If using the 2 cups of cheese, reserve the additional ½ cup of cheese to sprinkle over the crostatas before baking. Make a well in the center of each.

Carefully fold or roll up the sides to make a little crust around the edges, then crack an egg into each well.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Egg whites and yolks are firm not runny.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup