Recipe: Espresso Brownies


Okay… all you chocolate and coffee lovers… this Espresso Brownie recipe is for you! The perfect marriage of coffee and chocolate… just heaven!

This recipe has been on my “To Do” list for so long… it always seems to get pushed aside… I have no idea why either… we love coffee and chocolate… I experimented a few times and finally decided on how to make it..

Then I surfed the web and found a Rachel Ray recipe almost identical… guess I should have looked first… duh!... but then again.. I’d have lost out on all that experimenting… and who says food blogging is all work and no fun?

The best part? … you simply add a couple of ingredients to your boxed brownie mix… I know a boxed mix!... I know the blog snob wouldn’t approve… I suppose you could simply add it to my scratch brownie recipe … but really… why work harder than you have to? Truly either way the recipe comes out really tasty.

I did do mine a little differently from RR’s recipe.. and in my opinion... a crucial difference… for some odd reason she has her oven temp very high… I have no idea why…. I kept it the same as the original recipe on the box... I did add 5 minutes to the baking time...

TIPS



I always line my pan with non-stick foil … leaving a bit of over-hang so they can be lifted out easily… makes cutting them so much easier... clean-up is a snap too.

I still spray the foil (bottom of the pan only) with cooking oil spray.

You can use either Kahlua or Tia Maria.. both are coffee flavored liqueurs. If you leave it out .. the brownies won’t have as much of a coffee flavor… you may want to add a bit more coffee.

RR suggests if you don’t have instant espresso to substitute 2 rounded tablespoons ground dark roast coffee beans… I haven’t tried that since we always have espresso… so I can’t vouch for the results.. but it should be pretty good.

You can use whatever brownie mix you prefer… add the additions and bake as you would normally (I added 5 minutes to the baking time).

I like to use Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies (Traditional Chewy Brownie Mix) 13 x 9 Family Size 18.3 oz. We like chewy fudgy brownies.

So here goes….

Recipe: Espresso Brownies






All you need:

1 box mix of Brownies, prepared according to the box
2 tablespoons Kahlua or Tia Maria
3 tablespoons instant Espresso

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to the temperature the box advises.

Line your pan with foil and spray the foil with cooking oil spray (bottom only).

Mix the brownie batter according to the directions on the box.

Add the liqueur and the Espresso, mix well.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake according to the package instructions (I added 5 minutes to the baking time).

Allow to cool. Lift brownies out of the pan by lifting the foil.

Cut with a plastic knife using short sawing motions.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup