Recipe: Shepherd’s Pie from Leftovers


I’ve posted a Shepherd’s Pie recipe from scratch previously… but it also makes a great leftover dish. The other day I posted my Leftover Madness post pointing out that leftover gravy from beef stew or pot roast can easily be used to make more gravy or be used in recipes.

If I have left over meat and/or vegetables from the beef stew or pot roast… I use them as well as the gravy. Shepherd’s pie recipes leaves a lot to your imagination … add as much or as little as you like.

TIPS
I cut up leftover meat to use in the pie… If I need more… I simply brown and drain ground beef. Usually for a meal for four.. I use about one pound of meat.

I like to season the meat with seasonings… again you can add whatever seasonings your family prefers… I use onion powder, garlic powder and ground pepper.

Depending on how much leftover gravy I have will depend on whether or not I add more beef stock or broth to the dish. When using about a pound of meat, I like to have about two cups of leftover gravy or broth.

Usually my stew gravy is fairly thin, so I add about a tablespoon of flour to thicken it. To avoid lumps… I mix the flour with some broth in a measuring cup, mixing it well to smooth and creamy mixture, then add it to the pot.

I like to add fresh chopped parsley to the dish, it adds great flavor. I use about two tablespoons.

I either use fresh or frozen vegetables for the pot pie. Again, it’s up to you what to include. I use frozen corn, carrots and pies, and green beans. I use about ¼ to ½ cup of each. I like to use frozen pearl onions also, they’re quick and easy additions.

Although I do have canned mushrooms in the pantry for emergencies, I do prefer to use fresh sliced mushrooms, they add so much flavor.

The addition of beer or wine is good, but totally optional. I don’t add much… about ½ cup. I use a Cabernet for the wine and for the beer… I found an English Brown Ale that I really like to use called Hobgoblin.

If I don’t add the beer or wine I add 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce to add flavor.

If I know I’m going to have leftover pot roast and that I’m going to use it for Shepherd’s Pie, I also make extra mashed potatoes so I have them already made for the pie.

To change the flavor of the meal if I’m serving it in the same week as the original meal… I make cheddary cheesy mashed potatoes or garlic mashed.

I hope you find great ways to use your leftovers!







Recipe: Shepherd's Pie from Leftovers

All you need:

Leftover beef, diced (optional)
1 pound lean ground beef (less if you have leftover beef)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
About 5 turns on the pepper mill
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups leftover gravy or broth
½ cup beer or wine (optional)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (if not using beer or wine)
1 tablespoons flour (optional)
½ cup frozen pearl onions
¼- ½ cup frozen peas and carrots
¼- ½ cup frozen corn
¼- ½ cup frozen green beans
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
Mashed potatoes

All you need to do:


Brown and drain ground beef. Add spices and Worcestershire sauce.

Add beer or wine if adding it in.

Add diced leftover beef if available.





Add gravy and/or broth.

Add vegetables.

Simmer until vegetables are cooked.

Add flour if needed (see tips).




Add mashed potatoes to the top and serve or serve in individual dishes.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup