Recipe: Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chip Cookie Heart


Every year I would make a big deal of Valentine’s Day… we always celebrated with a special meal… and of course… we had to have dessert. I like this giant cookie heart... it's such a special idea for a family dessert....or even for that special someone.... store bought ones are so expensive... and making your own is quick, easy and best of all... inexpensive....

I also made heart shaped cookies to put in my son’s lunch box with a note… actually I made them periodically throughout the year … and tucked them in my hubby’s briefcase or my son’s lunch box… I firmly believe in telling those we love… just that… we love them.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be extravagant to be special… just thoughtful. What better way to do it than with sweets. This cookie heart is so easy to make and the folks at Betty Crocker have made decorating it easier than you ever thought possible.

I have an icing bag… and I do make icing from scratch and do the whole decorating thing… but I don’t always have time… and Betty Crocker solves the problem with their canned icing …. it comes with a small assortment of tips and is very inexpensive… they really make decorating very simple.

It doesn’t have to be as perfect as a professional baker would do it… it will look terrific… trust me.. and whoever is the lucky one to have it… will love it.

I used a Wilton baking pan… see my Tip of the Day… I used their recipe because I felt it probably would turn out best using their quantities… the recipe is below.

Quick Tips

Make sure that you spray your hands lightly with cooking oil before you gently press the cookie dough into the pan.

Gently spread the dough out.

Take the dough and using a large serving spoon… divide the dough in fourths… dropping a spoonful of dough in the pan… I dropped the dough in different areas of the pan… then used my hands to gently spread it out. This helps to spread it evenly throughout the pan.

Leave about a ¼ inch border from the sides of the pan… the cookie dough needs room to expand.

Cool completely before icing…

This is a super easy and great way to celebrate the day…







PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chip Cookie Heart

All you need:

½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray the pan with cooking oil spray (I used butter flavor).

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.

In a separate small bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt.

Add the flour to the butter mixture and mix well.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Spread the dough into the prepared pan.

**Make sure you leave a ¼ inch border from the sides of the pan so the cookie dough has room to spread.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown.

Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

Remove from the pan.

Cool completely before decorating and/or cutting.

Makes 8-10 servings.

2 comments:

Melani said...

yay! I am going to make this for V-Day! Thanks for the post, it made me remember I do have a heart shaped pan! I got it many moons ago from Target for like 2 bucks!

Linda said...

Terrific! The heart pans are cheap and well worth it

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup